Saturday, March 13, 2010

I woke up EIGHT times last night!

I passed by the field of a sluggard,
by the vineyard of a man lacking sense,
and behold, it was all overgrown with thorns;
the ground was covered with nettles,
and its stone wall was broken down.
Then I saw and considered it;
I looked and received instruction.
A little sleep, a little slumber,
a little folding of the hands to rest,
and poverty will come upon you like a robber,
and want like an armed man.

I'm wearing a FitBit for the next week to track my every waking move. Specifically, it will track my calories burned, the number of steps I take and miles I walk, and my sleep patterns. I started wearing it yesterday, and it's already been pretty revelatory. Because of FitBit, I know I woke up eight times last night, that I got in bed at midnight and that it took me 14 minutes to fall asleep. I also know I've somehow burned 500 calories today just sitting on my bum reading the internet. (I sort of want an explanation for that one -- having trouble buying it.)

But I'm excited to wear this thing throughout the week as I try several different forms of fitness. I plan to wear it running, to a Jazzercise class, doing some exercise DVDs, and possible in a yoga class or other fitness class. I'll be writing about it for that work place in a couple of weeks, so I don't want the article to be all about how I burned so many calories sitting on my bum reading blogs, ya know? So if anything is going to get my workouts back on track, I think this could be it.

And by the way? My workouts are way way off track. I'm just out of the habit completely. I blame... winter. Is that fair? Whatever, I still blame it! I was just too down for a lot of it to drag myself out of bed. I was a sluggard of the highest order. Dragging my feet, fog in my head, dreariness personified. I shook it off here and there, but never completely. I let myself go, as they say. Let the walls crumble around me, as I laid back and took a nice rest.

Did I turn to God and pray about my general malaise, to ask for strength? No, sure didn't. And it just kept on.

I don't want to beat myself up here. Did I stick to my goals? No. I am disappointed about that. But I'm not superwoman. It's OK to struggle at times. It's normal.

But I do want to do better for myself, including working out regularly. Spring will help. And so will this little FitBit! Sluggard, be gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails