Friday, January 29, 2010

Recipe: spicy black bean soup

I am kicking butt in the eating less meat department. I'm eating it here and there, but it's definitely not a daily thing. Besides a mindless bite of Luke's turkey meatball, I haven't eaten any this week besides dinner Tuesday, which was pretty crappy chicken. I think that was what they called it at the grocery store: "Sale on pretty crappy chicken!"

Anyway, tonight's dinner was a Spicy Black Bean Soup. It's a recipe from a book that I made all my own by adding in an extra can of black beans. Hopefully, that means Weight Watchers can't sue me.

Here's how you can enjoy this deliciousness:

1 onion, chopped
2 jalapenos, chopped, seeds discarded
3 cloves of garlic chopped
big splash of extra version olive oil, until you look in the pan and feel happy.

Saute those together for five minutes until the veggies are soft.

Then add:
1 cup of water
2 cups of veggie stock (organic!)
2 cans of drained and rinsed black beans (also organic)
big old dump of cumin, kind of big dumb of ground coriander, salt and pepper

Let it boil, then drop the heat and cover. Simmer for 45 minutes. Then haul the whole thing to the closest blender. The recipe said to let it cool first: I didn't. Why? Anyway, dump it in, and blend until it's smooth as smooth can be.

Warning! Warning!

My soup was an unhappy, yucky looking color.

But if you get past that, it's very tasty. My version with double the black beans was maybe thicker than what WW intended, but I like that. It was still soupy enough, but it had some weight to it on your spoon. And some bite -- use only one jalapeno if you're a wimp.

 
Not entirely pretty. But tasty and meatless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails