Friday, February 19, 2010

Do something service related once a month

Why it's on the list: Because once in college, I wrote a column about how my alternative Spring Break sucked because I thought it would be more life-changing and eye opening and really I just say in a room and stuffed envelopes. Like, seriously, couldn't the homeless people I served soup to have been a little more inspiring? Couldn't I have left feeling like more of a saint and less like someone who probably made a bad decision for what to do on Spring Break. Yeah, I am a little less than a cheerful servant. I've improved since then, but I'm still not a natural. Beyond that, it's good for the soul, yadda yadda yadda.

How I'll do it: It's going to turn out to be fairly easy. For once thing, all my work for It's My Heart (I'm an officer and board member, doesn't that sound impressive?) is voluntary, and I consider it a type of service. Right? I really am glad to be spreading CHD awareness, but still, it's serving. Secondly, I signed up to serve in the nursery at church once a month, my first step into the community at my new church (and I'm having a little bit of cold feet, but that's OK). And finally, I've also signed up to be a tutor in the Detroit Reading corps. Starting next month, I will be working one hour a week with two preschoolers, teaching them how to identify letters and appreciate great works of literature like "Mary Had a Little Lamb."

So I'll be a serving machine, more or less.

And that brings me to today. I'm taking a meal to a family that lost a baby to a CHD. It's bummerific. I hope I'm not really, really awkward, like crying on the front step while they wait to open the door, or cracking insensitive jokes while I'm handing over my homemade soup. Aw.

Anyway. It's the saddest thing. I'm really glad to be able to do something tangible for them, even if it is only one meal. And same with the kids and with It's My Heart. I feel like at this point in my life, I don't have a lot of time or a lot of myself to give. But I'm honestly excited to see ways now where I can use what I have and what I know and help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails