Friday, May 14, 2010

Sandy, can't you C?

Oh little forgotten blog. I've missed you.

Trying to unstick my mind is not easy. In the meantime, I have been sewing.

I'd like to show you all the pretty things I've made...

And I will. Soon.

But I know this blog is fast turning into a gee-look-what-I-made-now dumping place. Not my intention.

So before we to that, let me update a 20 little thing. Imagine!

I started my reading corp volunteering this week. My little preschooler Sandy (named changed to protect the innocent with an oddly-spelled name) was incredibly confidence, squirmy and pleasant. She could spell her oddly-spelled name when I put the letters in front of her all scrambled. She really was one step ahead of me every time I tried to introduce something new to here. Read Mary Had a Little Lamb? Pish-posh tutor! She said the whole thing right along with me. When I read The Very Hungry Caterpillar, she knew the storyline and pointed out all the fruits. She really wanted to practice writing her name. I let her. The first letter looked very good. After that, not so much  I have no idea how well kids her age are supposed to be able to write. But I felt a little bit like Sandy didn't really need much help. Or maybe my expectations were too low? I don't know. Sandy might not be my regular student anyway; there was some confusion when I arrived about who I was to see.

I'm excited to see where it goes.With Sandy or whoever.

Two other things:: immediately after meeting the woman running the program at my school, a really nice woman about my age, I realized she had lipstick on her teeth. BAD. So we're in the hallway and I'm internally debating whether to tell her, when my boss walks up. Not just my immediate boss, but like THE boss. So now it is the three of us, and she's shaking his hand, and ug, I felt so bad. What would you do in a situation like that?

The other thing: It was my first time in a DPS elementary school. I spent most of it in the library. The room was mostly filled with tables. Only half of the room was lined with shelves for books -- none were in the middle or the room or in the other half. Those shelves, I'd say, where about 35% full. Sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails